Gap Light Analyser for 64 bit Windows

UPDATE on November 15, 2016: Gap Light Analyser became newly available also for 64-bit Windows machines; the installation files can be downloaded from the original GLA website. Thanks to David Wojtowicz of the University of Illinois for updating the original installer and sharing the news! As David mentions  in the comment below, he became an unofficial maintainer of this update.

On the last terrain excursion from geobotany, we were facing the problem with Gap Light Analyser – the freeware program for analysis of hemispherical photographs of tree canopy, taken by camera with fish-eye lens. It can’t be installed on 64-bit version of Windows 7, although there was no problem with 32-bit version. In the end one student had still an old 32-bit machine, so we managed to analyse the photographs, but I was wondering how to solve the problem for future. I wrote to Gordon Frazer, the author of GLA, for some hack about how to solve the situation, and he recommended to install Windows Virtual PC and with Windows XP, and run installation of GLA on it. I tried it, and seems to work fine, although it’s a bit heavy-weight, because the installation takes some time (it took me one hour to complete the whole process). You need to visit Microsoft website (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx), choose your system (suppose you have Windows 7 Professional, I haven’t tried for other versions) and download the installation packages for Virtual PC and Windows XP (for free if you have genuine Windows system, which needs to be checked online). Install it, following the instructions on the website, and finally you can run virtual PC and install GLA on it. It’s a bit slower than ordinary PC, but it works. Unfortunately it’s not an ‘easy’ solution in a sense that you can’t make this somewhere in the field without good connection to internet (the installation files are over 400 MB large). But seems like there is no other easy (and free) solution – I checked two other freeware programs for analysis of canopy images, namely  hemIMAGE and Winphot*, but both has the same issue like GLA – they can’t run on 64-bit machine (at least I have not succeeded to install them). There is also commercial software (e.g., HemiView), but I didn’t purchase it, so I have no idea if it works (I guess it should).

* There is a paper in Waldökologie from Alvaro Promis and colleagues, which compares these two packages with HemiView and GLA – that’s how I found them…

22 thoughts on “Gap Light Analyser for 64 bit Windows

1. Ridzuwan

Dear David Zeleny,

I’ve tried to install into 64 bit windows 8 but until today no success. Do you have any suggestion to resolve this problem?

Ridzuwan

1. David Zelený

Sorry, Ridzuwan, I have no experience with Windows 8. I tried that on Windows 7 and succeeded, but not sure what could be the reason that this solution doesn’t work in W8.
      Have a nice day!
      David

2. Partha Poti Shome

Hi David,
      I want to Install Gap Light Analyser but i’m facing a problem. I have installed Windows 7 in my PC. I tried to Install Gap Light Analyser but not done. I’m running Windows 7 64 bit. It showed that “The version of file not compatible with the version of Windows you’re running.”

Please help me to overcome this problem. I want that software for my research purposes. I’ll be thank fulled to you.

Partha

2. Puji

Hi David,
    Mine is win 8.1 64 bit and unfortunately working with win xp mode is not supported on win 8 or later.
    Consequently, I borrowed my friend’s laptop which is win 7 and 32 bit. Have successfully installed the GLA but whenever I try to open that software there is always an error message appear “Run time error 339: component ‘LTDLG90N.OCX’ not correctly registered, file missing or invalid”.

I have tried to restart my computer, uninstall then re install, try download the master software again but still it does not work. Any idea?

Thank you.
    Puji

1. David Zelený

Sorry, Puji, I overlooked this comment for ages. No, I haven’t experienced similar problem in Win7, and I didn’t know that this virtual PC is not supported since Win8… sounds like bad news. So as so, for me the virtual PC on Win7 was extremely slow, but it worked fine. Up to now the best solution for GLA is to use the old laptop with WinXP and calculate it there… but sure, this won’t last forever. Didn’t you found some way meanwhile?
      Cheers
      David

1. Puji

Hi David,

No worries at all 🙂

I have sent an email to Dr. Charlie Canham directly. He said it is probably due to the antivirus or security in my internet connection (I downloaded this software from my uni’s internet connection). He suggested this way:

“Dear Puji – The error you are getting is related to a library in one of the image processing packages GLA uses. I’ve never seen this error before, but I suspect that there is something about the antivirus software at your institution that has caused the problem by deleting the OCX file.I googled that OCX, and came upon this site that may help you:
        Good luck.”

Unfortunately, it still doesn’t work. I don’t know why exactly, but I’ll try to do another go later.

Cheers,
        Puji

3. Marco

I’m just having the same problem here. Some undergrad students are developing a project and need to analyze canopy cover data. I suggested GLA, but it really does not install under Win 7 46 bit. Did you find any solution or alternative freeware? Thanks!

1. David Zelený

Hi Marco, unfortunately no, I haven’t found free replacement of GLA. I purchased WinsCanopy, with somehow mixed feelings – first it was a bit expensive, and it comes with hardware USB key, which limits its use to one person at time. And somehow it feels that it doesn’t really bring so much added value to GLA for so much money 🙂 So up to now, the best solution is – try to find an old laptop with WinXP and do the analysis there, or install virtual PC with Win XP on some newer machine. Obviously there is a niche for somebody coming with update of GLA…
      Cheers
      David

1. Marco

Thanks! I still use GLA with a virtualized Win XP (Fusion) installed on my Mac. But the students who take my courses are all running Win 7 or 8 in their notebooks.

4. John

Hey Guys, same problem with GLA. I found an alternative way to run XP mode in windows 8. You can download and install a virtual machine like Oracle VM and the install the XP. It´s a little slower than the “official XP machine” for windows 7, but it works.

Cheers,

John

5. Theo

Hi all,

I just installed GLA on three windows 7 32 bit machines and encountered the “Run time error 339: component ‘LTDLG90N.OCX’ not correctly registered, file missing or invalid” error after installation. Our IT specialist told me to run cmd as administrator and to type:
    regsvr32 LTDLG90N.OCX

This seems to have fixed the issue.

1. wojtow

The program itself is the same, but it now has been repackaged in a modern installer that puts files in the correct locations and registers them properly to run on 64bit (and works without needing compatibility mode on newer 32bit systems). I’m the unofficial maintainer of this repackaging. So if anyone encounters installation or program launch issues, please let me know. (I’m subscribed to this thread) Can’t help with program use or the calculations the program makes…I’m an IT guy who only has a vague concept of what the program is used for. 🙂

6. Ryan DeAngelis

Hi there,

I don’t suppose there is any way to install GLA on a Macbook is there? Looking to analyze canopy photos for a research project and all I have is a Mac. Curious if I can use GLA or need to find an alternate software or find a different computer to work on. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Cheers,
    Ryan

1. David Zelený

Hi Ryan,
      As far as I know GLA is Windows only (although you may still make sure by writing to the authors whether they do not have Mac version), and since I don’t have Mac, I don’t have experience with that. But you should be able to run it using some Windows emulator for Mac, like Boot Camp, right?
      Cheers
      David

7. Freddy Quiroz Ponce

Buen día, una consulta aun esta disponible el programa para descarga gratuita?
    tengo una laptop con windows 7, se requiere que este sistema sea de nivel profesional o de alguna versión menor?, para instalar el GAL, que requerimientos necesito aparte de tener windows 7?

Gracias !!!